Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Rocking the Blocks

Goddam.
This album came in the station's mail today, and like I always do when I get something from Blocks Recording Club, I gave it a spin.
And another spin.
And then another spin.
And then yet another spin.

Of course at only 17 minutes long, Close To The Bone, is easy to play over and over - it would fit snugly on one side of a 12-inch. But length isn't the reason I keep hitting repeat on this record - quality is. Carmen Elle and Andy Smith have crafted five electrifying, electrified rock songs with an insistence and a bravado that challenges listeners to face them head on. Elle's raw voice practically grabs you by the ears, looks you in the face and sings "listen to me."

So, you know, listen to them:


Great stuff, right?

From the looks of the video below, Army Girls live is no less electric an act. I can't wait to hear more from this duo, but for the time being I'm content to keep listening to what I've got.

ARMY GIRLS - THE POWER from untold city on Vimeo.



You can grab the album on their Bandcamp page, and for more info on Army Girls, check out their Tumblr.

No comments: