Tuesday, December 14, 2010

New to me, thanks to Mississippi Records

Working away on my year-end "Best Of" list (whittling a very long longlist down to my Top 20 in time for the New Years' Eve fandango on UMFM, so I've been reviewing a lot of music from earlier this year with little time for new stuff in the last few days. BUT I did just discover something that is new to me (but not, by any means, new) via the interesting Mississippi Records label.

Originally released in 1962 on Arhoolie, An Evening With Rev. Louis Overstreet - His Guitar, His Four Sons, And the Congregation of St. Luke Powerhouse Church of God in Christ is a dusty treasure that was re-issued by Mississippi Records in their usual inscrutable, quiet way.

You might read the word 'gospel' and think 'churchy,' 'staid,' or some other dismissive epithet, but the gospel on this record is fire-and-brimstone hot and energetic enough to raise hell and cast it off. A-ma-zing.


Rev Louis overstreet - Working on the building
Uploaded by le-pere-de-colombe. - See the latest featured music videos.

No comments: